Dear Carolynne —
- Is sleep masturbation still a
If one was asleep, and unconscious, there was no sin.
If one was partially asleep, they did not have full consent of the will, therefore there was no either no sin or it could have been a venial sin.
For a sin to be mortal it must include all three conditions:
- It must be a grave matter.
- We need sufficient time to reflect upon the sin we are about to commit
and then must make the decision to sin anyway.
- We must give full consent of the will to commit the sin.
If the person (as in this situation) does not have full consent of the will,
there is no mortal sin.
- Should I still go to Confession?
For sins like these, I would personally recommend
going to Confession.
Don't be scrupulous, just mention the sin to the
Confessor and say:
- You want to make good holy Communions, and
- Offer the Confession up for others around the
world that struggle with this prevalent sin.