Hi, guys —
My (Catholic) friend's mother just passed away and they're going to:
- have a local memorial Mass and cremation near their home, then
- come up to New England where I live for:
- a funeral Mass, and
- the interment of the mother's ashes with her husband.
I hope to join them for that.
Mother's Day would be an obvious choice for them to have the funeral Mass though it is my understanding that funeral Masses are not conducted during the 50-day period following Easter.
- How likely is it that they would simply come up and attend the normal Mother's Day Mass, then have the interment, without the Mass officially being a funeral Mass?
- Is that permissible, or it it required that the Mass be a dedicated funeral Mass?